What Is Lynda.com?
Lynda.com is an online educational service, providing people with learning materials on business, software, technology, photography, design, etc in order to improve professional and personal skills.
The company was launched in 1995 with its headquarters located in Carpinteria, CA; however since that time the organization widened its reach and founded offices in San Francisco, and abroad in London and Sydney.
All this time Lynda.com has been offering the high-quality courses conducted by the qualified experts, and has gained the reputation of a trustworthy educational company, meeting the needs of more than 2 million customers.
What Does Lynda.com Offer you?
The Lynda.com website offers 9 main categories of educational courses, based on video tutorials, which are the following:
- Developer. The category includes 370 courses with 15,696 video tutorials on web development, programming languages, mobile apps, databases, games, and much more.
- Design. The section encompasses565 courses with 27,007 video tutorials on print production, ebooks, page layout, digital painting, etc.
- Web. The category includes 636 courses with 24,310 video tutorials on CMS, blogs, prototyping, web graphics, and other important topics.
- Photography with overall 509 courses and 24,146 video tutorials about lighting, retouching, masking &compositing, etc.
- Business, compiled of 723 courses and 28,591 tutorials for presentations, spreadsheets, business skills, and other important topics.
- Education, offering students 126 educational courses with 5,420 videos about student tools, K-12 Education, e-learning, LMS, and much more.
- 3D + Animation that include 267 courses and 11,729 video tutorials on the subjects like textures, rendering, modeling, game design, etc.
- Video section with 496 courses and 19,490 educational videos on filmmaking, visual effects, motion graphics, and many other interesting topics
- Audio+ Music with 170 courses and 6,215 tutorials about audio effects, engineering, mixing, etc.
Overall the website provides the customers with more than 3,000 effective video courses created by the qualified experts. To make the lessons suitable for people with different background knowledge of the particular fields, each section has 4 skill levels to fit any audience. They are:
- Appropriate for All
Moreover, the service offers interesting articles, documentaries, and interviews of the experts on the particular subjects.
How Much Does It Cost?
People unsure if they want to use the service on permanent basis are offered a 10-days free trial to check out the video trials. After it ends up the customer will be automatically signed up to a paid membership, giving the access to all courses available on the website.
The paid membership comes in 2 options:
- Basic that is based on month-to month payment of $25, or can also be prepaid annually for the price of $250. This option allows viewing the entire library of the educational videos, enables to bookmark the videos, create playlists of the tutorials you want to watch, and obtain the certificates of competition once you are through with the entire course. This option works also with portable devices, such as iPads, iPhones or mobile phones on Android platform.
- Premium, which costs $37.50 per month or $ 375 per year. The premium option includes all the features available in the basic plan, and on the top that gives an opportunity to download the video tutorials on your IOS or Android devices.
The service takes thorough care about the quality of the provided courses, that’s why they put a few requirements on instructors who upload the video tutorials on the site.
First people wishing to become the experts at Lynda.com must fill in the registration form and wait on the decision if their qualifications are enough to be accepted to the service. The tutors are obliged to be either full-time or part-time instructors of a particular subject in any educational company, association or institution. Also they have to provide the documents, verifying their working there. The website claims that their most successful tutors earn almost the same amount of money that they make on their permanent job.
Strong Sides of Lynda.com.
- The service puts certain requirements on the instructors creating the video courses, which leads to high quality of the lessons
- The website has more than 3.00 video tutorials to offer with the new updates coming every week
- All courses are available in 4 skill levels, so that the lessons fit any audience either it’s beginners or advanced professionals
- The service is compatible with the portable devices, which makes it possible learning on the go
- The video tutorials are well structures into categories and sub categories, whaich makes it easy and fast to search for the particular video.
Weak Sides of Lynda.com.
The only weak side of the service is the absence of any educational assessment to check how well the students learnt the material of the courses. Adding some tests and quizzes could improve the situation.